To further understand the role of lipids in health and disease, through
research, education, and community service.
- To be an internationally recognized center of excellence in lipid research.
- To understand the molecular basis of diseases, including obesity, diabetes,
cancer, heart disease, neurodegeneration, and hyperlipidemia.
- To apply modern methods of molecular, cellular, and structural biology
to original research problems related to the role of lipids in cell structure,
metabolism, signal transduction, and neurobiology.
- To identify new treatment strategies designed to decrease morbidity
and mortality associated with lipid-related diseases.
- To train high-quality scientists in lipid research fields.
- To create a positive and supportive environment for faculty, post-doctoral
fellows, students, and support staff that is conducive to learning and
personal growth and to understanding of lipid research and related diseases.
- To increase public awareness of lipid-related diseases and their effect
on the health and economic well being of society.
See also: Kuypers, Narayanaswami, Oda, Ryan,
Saba and Smith